Saturday, March 12, 2011

teach like your hair is on fire

Last month I went to a "support" meeting for the first year teachers in our county.  I really enjoyed getting together with other beginning teachers to talk about our first year experiences.  We discussed excitements and things that we have struggled with during our first year.  We were given the book Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith.  I have enjoyed reading the first few chapters.  Makes me reflect even more personally on my first year experiences.  The author talks about his classroom being a "different world."  He says, "It's a world where character matters, hard work is respected, humility is valued, and support for one another is unconditional."  This is my goal.  I want my classroom to look like this.  I am eager to finish this book and learn some more of how he accomplished this "different world."
We had another follow up meeting this past week.  We had assigned seats and at each of our seats was a frame with a note from a student in our class and a photograph.  It was such a special surprise!
Little notes like this at the end of a day can make a teacher happy and proud!  We all need a little affirmation.  This is one of the best!   
The presenter at our meeting also read the book The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.  He said he read it on the first day of school and last day of school.  I liked how he related it to the classroom.  I found it at TJ Max last night and plan to read it Monday to my students.  I might have to hold back the tears while reading because we only have a few short more months till our school year is over.  It is so hard to believe! 
Reflecting on this past year has been really good.  I am proud of my accomplishments and most important proud of each of my students accomplishments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...