Tuesday, May 31, 2011

butterflies

Our caterpillars arrived 3 weeks ago.  We enjoyed watching the caterpillars grow every day, turning into a pupa, and finally coming out of their pupa as a beautiful butterfly!  We studied each stage of the butterfly life cycle, and the students made a little book about the different stages. 
 Day 1
 Day 3
 Pupa Stage

 Butterflies!

We also did some fun stuff with Eric Carle's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
In college I did an author study on Eric Carle.  One of our assignments was to pick a book and make something that connects with the book.  I wanted to make something that would last through my teaching years.
My mom and I worked together to make a felt board.  I shared this with my students.  I gave each student a felt illustration, and when I read about what they had, they came to put it up on the board.
  



I put this in a center after we did it as a whole class.  It was a huge hit.  They loved retelling the story.

We also wrote about the hungry caterpillar. 
"If I were a hungry caterpillar..."

...I would eat 1 apple, 2 cakes, 3 lollipops, 4 cheese, 5 cookies, 6 pumpkins, 7 oranges, 8 chicken, 9 pie, 10 pears, 11 grapes.
She made sure to include it ALL in her picture!

...I would eat carrot, cupcake, pizza, cheese, and an apple. 
He had drawn a lot of other foods but ran out of time and room on his paper to write it all!

Today we let our butterflies free.  It was exciting as we watched each one fly away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...