Saturday, April 16, 2011

book character day!

Friday was a blast!  Each student was so excited to come in wearing their costume and checking out their friends costumes too.  They were in awe of my costume!
My fear was that I would have some students come in that morning and not have a costume or not have a book.  I really discussed it with my students about what they were going to wear and that they needed to have a book about who they were dressed up as.  Like any great teacher I was glad I was prepared because I had 2 students come in that morning without a costume or a book!  I had gotten some simple things together which I am SO glad I did! 
I was Cowgirl Kate from the book Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa by Erica Silverman (who also wrote one of my most favorite books Big Pumpkin)!
My assistant was the Old Lady from the book There Was A Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick.

Some other that showed up in our class were...Little Red Riding Hood, Jessie, Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Pinkalicious, Tinkerbell, Soccer Player, Junie B. Jones, Firefighter, Splat the Cat, and Justin Bieber!
The students in the other Kindergarten classes dressed up as ducks from the book Make Way for Ducklings! 
We came into the gym and paraded around for all the other grades and then sat down to enjoy seeing the other grades parade around to show off their costumes.  There was also a parade for the teachers and parents who dressed up. 
Two local newspapers were there snapping pictures! 
After the parade we broke it down to Gotta Keep Reading!  Our chorus teacher did a great job leading and teaching the school the dance!


What a great day to encourage reading and get our students excited about books! 
Now I must start planning my costume for next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...