Saturday, December 4, 2010

frosty

I love being a Kindergarten teacher and I really LOVE being a Kindergarten teacher during Christmas time!  I love the excitement that the students have about the season.  I love that they believe in Santa and the questions they have.  We have already started a count down and written letters to Santa.  We also have a new friend in our classroom.  He is from the North Pole and a member of Elf on the Shelf.  He made his appearance when we came back from Thanksgiving break.  They noticed him very quickly!  I was outside the door talking to a parent and they ran out to tell me an elf was in our room!
The Elf on the Shelf makes his appearance and watches the students during the day.  At night he leaves and uses Christmas magic to go back to the North Pole to tell Santa about the behavior of the students that day.  When he comes back in the morning he is in a different spot.  The elf can not be touched because he will lose his magic.  One of my students has one at her house.  She has made sure her friends in our class know all the rules!  She tells them that if they touch him he will turn into a doll! 
We also had to come up with a name for our elf.  I couldn't wait to hear their suggestions.  I let each student suggest a name.  There were some crazy ones...like Red, Charlie Brown, and Rug.  We narrowed it down to three.  Christmas Tree, Elfie, and Frosty were the three to chose from.  Frosty won!
He has watched us every day and the students love it. 
One day this past week my students were pretty talkative and wouldn't follow directions and so Santa sent a note back with Frosty.  They were amazed!!!!
I think Frosty is really helping with our behavior!  They love finding him each morning and they are tempted to touch him but no one has yet!  I don't want to know how the other students will react if and when it happens!!!
Frosty!

Do you have an Elf on the Shelf in your classroom or at your house?

2 comments:

  1. Laura, You bring so much energy and excitement to the kids. It is such a pleasure to have you at Grover. Leigh Hord

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one in my classroom and one of my kids did touch him. We had to find some magic dust to turn him back into an elf and not a doll. HA!
    Jada

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...